towards the cinemagical

towards the cinemagical

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Evan Sweeney Curating Experience

Sound of Music: Curating Experience #1
Music has no subject beyond the combinations of notes we hear, for music speaks not only by means of sounds, it speaks nothing but sound.” — Eduard Hanslick



For me, when I listen to music I am almost always listening to the tune: its harmonies, beats and patterns and that is what I get stuck in my head. I can appreciate the poetry of a song's lyrics, but what I am most attracted to are the sounds. This selection from the soundtrack of Jane Campion's Bright Star spoke to me because of its natural qualities. This is a very formal piece of music and yet it is simply a group of men altering their voices to create music.



"Music is the only thing in life that makes sense." - paraphrasing Alexander Vogel

Furthermore, I have been playing music in the formal setting of school bands since I picked up the alto sax in 5th grade, but I had never found a true connection to the music I was playing. It was just simply playing what was written on the page without any real interpretation. Even playing jazz was uninspiring for me as what is generally taught in school is the big band format where improv is structured in convaluted major and minor keys, etc. I didn't make a real connection to the music I was playing until last year when I began playing with my friend Alexander Vogel, a fellow sax player (his a soprano). Since then we've stuck with one piece of music where we will play a line or two and then we stop reading the page; our music is created between the two of us through just plain sounds. I can sit there and listen to him and play off his sounds and vice versa. To many this could be just a cacophony of noise, but to me it's the only honest music I've ever played.











Reliving SF's Palaces: Curating Experience #2



(3:30 in to see the demolition)


Wouldn't it be great to live in the 1920's where there was a movie theatre on nearly every corner? Today we are lucky to still have a chance to visit the
Castro Theatre
, one of the remaining movie palaces in the country. Footage above shows the Fox Theatre which stood at 1350 Market St. until 1963. This is the only footage I was able to find of a demolition of one of San Francisco's many lost palaces.



The one movie palace that most interests me in El Capitan in the Mission (not to be confused with Los Angeles' El Capitan which now holds the original organ from SF's Fox Theatre). Sadly, all that remains of the theatre is its marquee and in the place of the theatre is a barren parking lot.




A dream of mine is to revive these ruins of exhibition past and show movies of the times in their locations. Imagine a drive-in (incorporating its current existence) showing of The Gaucho, starring Douglas Fairbanks, projected onto the wall. Or a red carpet revamping of El Capitan's parking lot with attendees in formal wear. This would ensure that future generations will be more concerned in preserving icons of the past.

1 comment:

  1. comments from KN:


    Sound of Music Comments:

    Evan, your “curating an experience” reads and works well as a *multimedia artist statement*. Nice title, great flow and overall - good job!

    I encourage you to take my suggestions and yours and have a multimedia artist statement!

    A few formatting suggestions…

    When you quote someone, add a hyperlink for interested folks (to a wiki or whatever page you think will best guide interested folks.)

    For example, hyperlink Eduard Hanslick and Alexander Vogel.
    -
    As you tell us about your experience, ditch the qualifiers at the head of the statements.

    For example:
    Re: For me, when I listen to music I am almost always listening to the tune: its harmonies, beats and patterns and that is what I get stuck in my head.

    Omit “For me”
    -
    Re: “Furthermore, I have been playing music in the formal setting of school bands since I picked up the alto sax in 5th grade, but I had never found a true connection to the music I was playing.”

    Omit the furthermore.
    -
    The images after each component of the statement work well. I LOVE the blank music score. For the last image…there are too many line breaks from the words to the picture…omit some line breaks so the picture comes a line break or two later (like the formatting of the first image to text).


    Reliving SF's Palaces Comments.

    Great! Your experience is experienced!…but…a few formatting and copy edit and multimedia suggestions.

    RE: comment after video post “(3:30 in to see the demolition)”…great note as it alerts viewers who may not be inclined to see the whole thing. Smart! Thumbs up.

    Great use of hyperlinks.
    Note: the CASTRO THEATRE link does not work…it links back to the blog. REDO.


    -

    Re: “The one movie palace that most interests me in El Capitan in the Mission (not to be confused with Los Angeles' El Capitan which now holds the original organ from SF's Fox Theatre). Sadly, all that remains of the theatre is its marquee and in the place of the theatre is a barren parking lot.”


    SUGGESTION

    REWRITE/REWORD/HYPERLINCK…. “Have you ever walked by (list street name here/hyperlink). This is the Mission’s El Capitan . This is one movie palace that interests me … El Capitan in the Mission (not to be confused with Los Angeles' El Capitan which now holds the original organ from SF's Fox Theatre). Sadly, all that remains of the theatre is its marquee and in the place of the theatre is a barren parking lot.

    <<< the re-wording suggestion is to invite the reader to rest into >>> keep your other.

    (place pic of El Capitan here)


    Rewrite… “A dream of mine is to revive these ruins of exhibition past and show movies of the times in their locations. Imagine a drive-in (incorporating its current existence) showing of The Gaucho, starring Douglas Fairbanks, projected onto the wall. Or a red carpet revamping of El Capitan's parking lot with attendees in formal wear. This would ensure that future generations will be more concerned in preserving icons of the past.”

    To read:
    A dream of mine is to revive these ruins of exhibition past and show movies of the times in their locations. Imagine a drive-in (incorporating its current existence) showing of The Gaucho starring Douglas Fairbanks. Look, it is projected onto the wall. Or a red carpet revamping of El Capitan's parking lot with attendees in formal wear.

    (subtle, keep us in the present to imagine with words)
    -

    RE: “This would ensure that future generations will be more concerned in preserving icons of the past.”

    How can you rewrite this to fit the rest of your tone, which is not as dogmatic? The tone so far is more of your experience and wish, how can you re-word the last ask, with this tone?

    Great job Evan…I encourage you to re-do. This is lovely, re-do and use for your resume.

    ReplyDelete